Monday, April 4, 2011

Archaic mainsheet system? Paceship P17!

I bought an old Paceship P17 last summer and much to my dismay never managed to sail it. Having no sailing experience and trying to obtain all my knowledge from books led to me searching endlessly for the right parts to get it ready.

Well, Spring is here and I'm getting pretty pumped again. Most of the parts I needed last year I have, I've got folks willing to help me get it ready, and only a few questions remain. The main one is...

What the heck is this???
Specifically, the diagram on the left. Is this showing two blocks on the end of the boom, each one attached to a (not sure if this is the right term) deck block? How do you running the sheet through that? I'd love to use the original design, but I'd be willing to change it if this is incomprehensible.

I've looked at various sites and diagrams, such as this place: http://craig.backfire.ca/pages/sailing/mainsheet-systems, but none seem to illustrate this particular system.

4 comments:

Kit-Seller said...

Head over to Paceship.org, get registered and check into the forums. There as guy in there that completely rebuilt a P17 and surely would send you rigging instructions.

Nick Spacek said...

Do you happen to know who it was? I am on the forums there and made a similar post back before I put this blog post up (the forums there are pretty low activity). I didn't hear back from anyone on there...

Trapper said...

Nick,

Good luck with the old Paceship. My good friend gave me one. Lesson to be learned there. If someone wants to give you a Paceship. RUN as fast as you can. However, I have one upped you. I actually got my little piece of ship to the water. Truly a feat. Now when I was sitting in the Albemarle Sound going in circles, made myself seasick, I realized that the rudder was deeper than the water I was in. If this does occur with you do not, and I repeat do not do what I did. Which was to jump out of the boat, start the little engine and proceed to run into my little boat house. I can live with that, but the screeching screams coming from my wife will haunt me forever. Yuck. Anyway, if you need parts for your piece of Paceship, let me know as I now have plenty. Well.....what I could pull out of the Sound.
Bottom line, I'm sticking with my cool little 14' Hobie Cat. It doesn't hurt me as much.
Good luck good buddy. Good luck.
Trapper

Nick Spacek said...

Haha, that's a hilarious story! :)

Hopefully it goes better than that. I haven't had the time to get the cuddy floor fixed on mine yet, but hopefully soon. Then she's ready to sail (I think)!